Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Mechanics

I reach office quite mechanically.

Shout, walk out of the house, reach the station, hop into the train, if i get a seat, look out of the window for the signboard with the fish to know its chembur, get down at kurla, tear the crowd, rush into the next train, hang outside the door as a tact to get down at parel, take a cab if late or walk walk walk, reach office, shout.

The journey is such that now i dont need to be conscious. The feet walk programmed. The right lefts, the right rights. Sometimes i see a kitten and pause to play, sometimes i see someone in pain and wince, then pray. Sometimes i see an ambulance and pray for the agitated people accompanying the patient lying unconscious. And the patient. I reach office and the day begins. I reach home and the day begins. I think when i said about the doors thing, it didn't mean some fantasy philosophy, but just the need for a better way to commute. When i was in college, there were two ways to reach college, the other one was a little shorter. But i used to take the longer route because it crossed the main road and the market. The reason being that i could see life moving here. The other road was from inside and empty.

Today i met an old woman in the train. She called me to give her seat to me. She fought with the rest so that only i sit on the seat next to the window and don't shift on the fourth side. She got up before her station came so that it would seem that she 'gave' it to me to the others. And the surprising part is she was old. I am supposed to do that to an old person. Why was she doing it for me? Its wierd that im writing about some woman, living in some apartment, in some building, in some part of the city, in this space which is some blog, somewhere in this web universe, she would never know. She simply left and didn't even turn back nodding and smiling, exepecting a nodding and smiling thanks from me. I did smile though, but after she left, thinking how nice she was.

A person is more special when you think of him and smile than if you smile only in front of him.

posted by Fly @ 12:57 PM  

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home