Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013

I WENT TO EUROPE!!!!

First trip abroad. In other words, pehle ball pe sixer!

So yes, welcome to my year end entry. An account of all that was in the year that passed and all I want it to be in the coming year.

As it has been in the past couple of years, this year too I wanted out of this job. Here are the reasons it didn't happen and I guess I can live with them.

The first 3 months I was working on a campaign. A campaign that as always began with a lot of promise, but landed eventually in the zone of polished predictable. Nevertheless, my ad from the lot was shot in March but didn't release, only to surprisingly see the light of day in October.

Vodafone - Made for Sharing

So as everything about it wrapped in April, my sister began planting thoughts of a trip abroad in my brain. She wanted us to go in June as that's spring time and the weather's the nicest in most places abroad. We wanted to go for a month because that's what a good phoren trip deserves. I figured that won't be possible if I quit as I would get stuck in probation periods. So I stuck around. Cz trips abroad deserve the compromise. But it was still a germ of a thought, something I didn't ever expect to materialize cz awesome things of such great proportions don't just happen to you like that, right? All credit to Super Sis who actually did it all. And before I knew it, we were flying on the 1st of August, to ITALY.



We landed at Istanbul for our layover and I laid foot on foreign land for the first time in my life. I almost wanted to bend down and kiss the ground. Thank Mother Earth for deeming me worthy of experiencing her bounties beyond my motherland. I was never actually too keen on going abroad before this as I felt I hadn't completely seen my own beautiful country fully yet. But 2013, I was open to the thought. And the universe conspired. And here I was at Istanbul airport; which is large and confusing enough to shelter and lose the whole of Australia; experiencing complete lack of customer service and language and currency issues. I was so far away from home. And it was still so great!

On stepping out of the airport, the first thing I saw was a yellow cab and I almost cried.



It was a bright and clear day, and I mean it. Our bright and clear days actually mean hot and dusty. I could see everything so clear, it felt I'd been seeing through scratched spectacles all my life.

And then to Italy.




YES I WAS IN ITALY. FOR A MONTH. EUROPE IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE ON EARTH. EVERYONE SHOULD LIVE THERE.

While in Italy, we faced language and currency issues to the proportions we didn't imagine. There were actually moments I missed India. Just for the ease about everything. But now that I'm back, I cannot get over how beautiful that place is. The importance they place on art. How liberal they are. It's just amazing. I actually feel a sense of calm post my visit. I spent beyond my capacity and sometimes had a tough time managing in a place where they don't speak a word of English. But what I bring back is the beauty, vastness, art, thinking and just the availability of so much personal and physical space. The last point, i guess, only an Indian can fully understand. We the commuters of local trains and livers of matchboxes.

The trip was in August, so we do realize that that's three-fourth of the year gone. One year devoted to make one thing happen. 2013 - I went to Europe. That's it. But is that okay? Is that a bad deal? I don't know. People are travelling all the time, going to all corners of the world. It was much much tougher for me to make it happen. It took much more time. But should I have not made it happen? I don't know. I don't think so. Should I have made a cheaper south-east Asia thing happen? I don't know. But this is what happened. It's that I went to Europe. And the experience, in all ways, was unique and almost unparalleled.

I landed back just in time for my birthday. And now that I was back, the thoughts of quitting rushed back in. After all, that was my original mission for the year. Simultaneously, news of appraisals started floating around and it made sense to sit another month out and quote a better figure outside.


Three small noteworthy mentions that I missed: -

-      I joined Latin Ballroom Dance classes in May. Henceforth, all my weekends comprised attending these classes. I had SO much fun. It felt SO great to have learnt a new skill. Felt SO enriching. I've always wanted to do "more" with my life. I insisted and made it happen and continued despite Kavi leaving. It gave some meaning to empty weekends that were just wiled away. And also gave me a lot of new friends. It's such a boon to have an extended social circle from my area. For the first time, plans were being made without people dropping jaws on where I would have to go back to. And the magazine gyaan of hobby groups being beneficial was hence proved to be true.



-      I also had a mini trip to Panchagni in June with my musketeers. It was just a weekend trip but was so fun and refreshing. A "single" day trip to Pune with my sister was also so great. Just step out when you can. It's just the best thing. I wish to meet more like minded people, and my friends to quit the ifs n buts, and for us to travel more in the coming year, and in all the years of my life.



-     I met Ruskin Bond at the Times Literary Carnival and got a copy of 'The Best of Ruskin Bond' autographed by him. What a lovely man! And gave great insights into writing. Had always wanted to meet him.


-     I got closer to the Ayesha group and gained new friends in G, F, N and of course R, with whom I survived two fights, one of which included a month of silence and the other a week.


Getting back, appraisals happened in October.

Diwali happened in November. And so did the great act of making a of list of agencies and utter confusion over whom to approach.

And in no time, here was December. And here it is, already over. One foot out of the door, waving a goodbye.

I wouldn't say time flies because I fit in quite a lot in this year, for a change.This is the first time since 2009 that I did not have a dark year. Every year before this I had been dealing with one inner turmoil or the other, all having their roots in March 2009. It was my dark age. And every year since then I had wished and etched towards inner peace, and this year finally I attained that a bit and picked some fragments of my life and put them together.

So here's the new year again. A day and half away. What do I want this time?

-      About my job. And generally in life, I feel a sense of calm right now. At least I'm not dying within every single day. I just have a calm that makes me feel it will all happen in good time. Calm, not complacent. Determined, not desperate.

-     I want more money to pour in the coming year. So I can make more things happen for my home, for my family, for myself.

-     I have no clue why I don't feel as ambitious as before. And this would probably be the third year in a row, the previous ones owing to my own inner turmoils. I don't know if this is the confidence that comes with experience or complacency. I do strive for quality but I'm not that hungry for more. That particular hunger that makes people go for scams and push for 360. Possibly because I don not fully believe in the former and have accepted that the latter never happens. And also maybe the utter uselessness of striving for something in this isolated world of advertising, where we only pat each others backs and no one else cares. It does seem fake. These cynicisms or even realities aside, now that you're here you gotta give it your all.
So basically, I do intend to strive for more this year.

-     I've harboured secret ambitions to try my luck as a writer in Bollywood that have gained more confidence this year. And also on working on something travel related. Both of which shall be explored in the coming year.

-    I want to become a priority again in Pappu's life. Just as a friend. He has become so inert that he gives no importance to anyone, and I don't like being one of them. I don't want him to be so lost and aloof. And I do feel left out - from his friendship. Though, I do respect his space, I do not think his case is about space. He doesn't care and that's disturbing sometimes. To live and let live is one thing, to not bother and not be bothered is another. Anyway, everyone has a right to their own learnings and dealings in life; to each his own. Hope you sort your shit out, I miss you.

-    I wish health, wealth and happiness for my mom, sister and brother. I wish these very cliched things very strongly for my family. My naive, loving, over-protective family.

-    I will try to extend my skill set. Maybe learn something  new this year.

-    Running, diet and exercise. Nothing works if you don't look good.


So 2014, you seem exciting for some reason. Let's see what you bring.

I hope you bring - Love. Confidence. Security. Capacity. Fulfillness. Enchantment. Excitement. Laughter. Hunger. Happiness. Joy. Creativity. Surprises (pleasant).

I want to protect what God has given me this year and take it forward. I cribbed about friends, he gave me many. I cribbed about travel, he gave me a mother of a trip. I just want to hold these collections in my arm like a bunch of fresh red apples and walk ahead, and keep picking and adding to the pile. Thank you, lord. You have been kind and gracious. You have responded to my faith, now keep me in your wing. Don't let me out of sight for a single minute, for a single second. Please don't.


*********************************************************************************

PS: Wow. Chanced upon this. It's like mom giving quick, specific, curt instructions that in this case make so much sense. If nothing, it presents a great attitude to approach the new year with. Enjoy.


posted by Fly @ 2:03 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home